Monday August 2, 2004
1920 x 1200 Wallpapers
Recently, my venerable Gateway 2000 (!) 21-inch monitor began to misbehave slightly, and I decided that was a good excuse to upgrade. After researching and dithering for months, I eventually bought one of these, and it is, in a nutshell, sweet. I've even been using the 90-degree pivot feature, which I hadn't expected to actually be useful. The only problem is that such a nice monitor calls for a really pretty desktop background, and most of the free wallpaper sites out on the web don't have anything bigger than 1600 x 1200. I need 1920 x 1200!
Fortunately, because Apple has had a monitor out in that resolution for more than a year, there are a few sites that have wallpapers of the right size. Here are the best sites I found (using the Google and AltaVista image search features):
- Blatte's Backgrounds: Lots of cool fractal backgrounds, including Aperture, the image I'm currently using as my background.
- InterfaceLIFT: Wallpapers in many different styles from several different artists—check out the Color Jive series by Blake J. Nolan.
- Graffiti Wallpaper: Mostly (all?) photographs. I like Water Drops on Blue, which you can see here.
- lynda.com wallpapers: Abstract patterns with consistent colors—that's nice because they don't distract the eye from the icons on the desktop.
- eadesign: Very simple computer-rendered wallpapers, mostly in single colors. I think my favorite is Heavy Rotation. Click on White Void Set to see more.
- WagMedia: Some of these are a little too busy for my taste, but I really like Gray Stripes and Orange Stripes—simple and easy on the eyes.
- GLIFOS: There's only three wallpapers here, but two of them, Júpiter and Atardecer, are really beautiful. (Although I think I would have called Júpiter "Yavin" instead.)
[UPDATES: As I find additional sites, I'm going to add them here. Please do leave a comment if you know of repositories of 1920 x 1200 wallpapers that aren't listed here—I've been getting a lot of search engine hits, but very few comments.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day: A new space-related picture every day, often in very high resolution, and all of the past images are available if you follow the Archive link. They're not sized correctly to be wallpapers, but they should be easy to stretch or trim. I particularly like this photo of the Martian horizon, this time-lapse photo of the Perseid meteor shower, and this picture of the surface of the sun. (Via the one and only Lileks).
- deviantART: A large collection of art, including lots of skins and wallpapers. You can browse their wallpapers by size—try here for 1920 x 1200. (via a post over at [H]ard|Forum).
12/15/2004: Here are some more sites, suggested by seppe in the comments below (thanks!):
- mandolux: A desktop wallpapers blog (it had to happen) containing the photographs of Mando Gomez, who has done some really beautiful work. I like Menacing Clouds and Strings of Fire. Gomez has gone the extra mile and included both single images and paired images for you lucky people with dual monitors.
- Wallpapers & Co.: In addition to a large collection of smaller wallpapers, they've got a smallish collection of widescreen ones. They're aimed pretty squarely at the arrested adolescent male (girls, cars, video games, and girls from video games driving cars), which I would sneer at if I weren't one.
- smhill: A bunch of wallpapers and icon sets. You can see the whole list of wallpapers here. They're not all available in 1920 x 1200—click on an image, then scroll down, past the blank space, to see the buttons for the size options. I like Purple Hoops. (The name of this site makes me want to start saying, "What in the smhill are you doin' back there?", but I'll restrain myself.)
- Pixelgirl Presents: This site has a large list of desktops submitted by a bunch of different people here. However, it looks like only a few of them are 1920 x 1200—a quick search through all seven pages of the featured section turned up only one, and it's from mandolux, above. (Plea to all wallpaper site adminstrators: let us sort by size!)
I also found this one:
- Veer: They have a large collection of wallpapers here, and most of the more recent ones at the top of the screen are available in widescreen. They tend to be pretty graphic-designy (which is good news if you're looking for an unobtrusive background), including a few that look like honest-to-God wallpaper, but they also have some photographs.
11/5/2006: Reader Bradley S. suggested the following site via email:
- Carwalls: This site has a ton of automobile wallpapers in various sizes, including many in in 1920 x 1200. I was a little disappointed to discover that all of the Bugatti Veyron wallpapers were all smaller than that, but I guess you can't have everything.]
If you know of any other sites with wallpaper images in 1920 x 1200, I'd love to hear about them. I wish there was a high-resolution version of this image available—I'll have to see if there's a book in the library that has that painting, so I can scan it in. A widescreen Maxfield Parrish wallpaper would be nice, too.
[Now playing: "Heaven or Las Vegas" by Cocteau Twins]
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 1920 x 1200 Wallpapers:
That's a pretty nice monitor and almost exactly what I am in the market for. Target purchase date is the end of October. Money is just too tight right now.
Is it possible to split the screen in half so that you could be watching a video (i.e. tutorial) in one half and still have a good sized explorer/photoshop screen open? 23"'s of goodness... I'm oh so jealous.
Well, I'm partial to the Propaganda series of images:
They're tiles, so it doesn't matter what the dimensions of your screen are.
You should take a look at the excellent Stock Exchange: http://www.sxc.hu
This is actually not a wallpaper site but a stock photo site; but this site offers superb high resolution pictures, and the quality is definitely worth the little extra work of cropping/resizing the images to the right size & resolution.
I just got a widescreen laptop that supports 1920 * 1200 resolution, and your site really helped me find some cool wallpapers. I especially liket some of the fractal ones on your first link.
Posted by: Sam Crev at Aug 30, 2004 2:14:36 AM
I was thinking that once the DVD is available (next week) you can play it on your computer and take a screenshot at the appropriate time and get what you want that way.
Hey, that's a good idea. It hadn't occurred to me because I'm one of those whiny fanboys who's annoyed that Lucas didn't release the original versions of the trilogy on DVD, and I'm not sure I'm going to buy them. (Which is not to say I won't rent them...)
Posted by: The Tensor at Sep 19, 2004 2:10:20 AM
I just read some reviews and I can say that I am not so impressed with the alterations. guess I'm in the whiney fanboy club. fortuneately for me I have the original versions retouched boxed set. The box set before all the new scenes were added, but it is VHS not DVD.
The other option is to rent the DVD find the scene and get your screen shot.
Do you know mandolux already? http://www.mandolux.com .. very nice 1920x1200 wallpapers.
I bookmarked your site, because it's very hard to find 1920x1200 wallpapers. I hope you'll still update this site.
Keep up the good work!
... and there is also http://www.pixelgirlpresents.com
more 1920x1200 wallpapers @ http://xavsniper.free.fr/wide_screen.htm
(don't say now that I don't help you :))
also some 1920x1200 wallpapers at http://smhill.net/archives/category/icons_desktops
did you ever find that Parrish wallpaper?
Have a look at these: http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/mpages/16x9_1.shtml
have a look at these two as well
Posted by: JIM at Mar 30, 2005 10:13:16 PM
I've made some hi res wallpapers for my Apple 23" screen....
Hope you like them! :)
I just got my Dell 2405FPW monitor today and was looking for some 1920 x 1200 wallpapers. Check out the following sites:
Posted by: Ender at Apr 22, 2005 8:37:44 PM
Looks like this Zoo is on the ball!
North Carolina Zoo Free Stuff: Wallpapers
Posted by: at Apr 26, 2005 10:34:32 AM
Very helpfull, thank you very much
Posted by: Alfonso at Apr 27, 2005 6:41:39 PM
For the uber-retro-geeks among us, I just started posting anaglyph 3D wallpaper at http://ari3d.com/wallpaper - you'll need red/blue glasses to see them pop into our out of your monitor, but you should be able to find those pretty easily. I'll try to post a few more images from my anaglyph photoblog later this week.
You should really check out www.istockphoto.com - they do print res. (300dpi) images for print that you can resize for your needs. These cost a few pounds/dolalrs each, but have an incredibly wide range of royalty free photos which you should prob check out anyway - if your're a designer.
Hope this helps.
Apple 23in here I come :D
There will be some on my site soon!
PlasmaDesign has 1920x1200 wallpapers. http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk/
Posted by: Tril at Jun 21, 2005 2:52:18 AM
great site, thank you for taking the time to collect these
Posted by: ps at Jun 24, 2005 11:39:53 AM
there are tons of great landscapes on this site
I forgot to put the URL. It is http://www.macdesktops.com/
Posted by: Scott at Jul 19, 2005 8:40:24 PM
Here is a good link - "Vilda". They have wallpapers available in many widescreen resolutions, including 15" PowerBook native (1280x854), and 1920x1200.
Posted by: Kenneth at Jul 28, 2005 8:22:21 PM
Thanks for the links. I started my own site of wallpapers at http://www.smithhub.com/sally/scopic.html. I hope to get a nice collection going soon.
Posted by: Sally at Aug 4, 2005 10:39:31 AM
good work - thx, it saved me plenty of time.
Posted by: kozmik at Sep 2, 2005 2:32:36 AM
You can find some nice Windows Vista wallpapers at http://www.vistawallpaper.com
Great work! I could never have found so many good sites if I was on my own. Thanks.
Take a look at http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ -- amazing and beautiful high res images of the planet. How high res? They have cloud free composites of the entire face of the planet for every month of the year at up to 21600x10800 pixels. It takes some poking around to find all the images, so two good places to start are http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/ and http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images_index.php3?page=1
Posted by: Brian at Oct 17, 2005 10:24:13 PM
Try http://www.vistaborders.com they have quite a few now and new ones are showing up every time I go there. I also joined a contest they are running. Overall a great site.
Some high resolution Apple and Windows Theme wallpaper that I stumbled across:
Posted by: Sean P. Kane at Nov 2, 2005 11:34:00 AM
Guess What I got today? It starts with an "L" and ends with a 2335.
Anyway, now that I've joined the club, I am definately into the big wallpapers.
www.Wincustomize.com has a bunch of wallpapers too. Many of them come in a widescreen format.
Posted by: Shorty at Dec 15, 2005 3:56:46 PM
tell me, what is the price you paid to your monitor?
and i think you will find good wallpapers on this site:
Very cool space images in 1920x1200
To make it all very easy for everyone looking at this page, just follow this link:
DeviantArt has a lot of good wallpapers, and this link will lead you straight to 1920x1200 wallpapers. Enjoy!
I have a page with rock art images (pictographs and petroglyphs) and recently I've started scanning a few at 1920 x 1200 in addition to the many I have at 1600 x 1200. The main page is here, and you can find a partial list of the high resolution images here.
Did you ever find any Maxfield Parrish wallpaper? I'd be very interested. Thanks.
Posted by: Anita at May 16, 2006 9:03:31 AM
www.DigitalBlasphemy.com USE to offer best wallpapers on internet (not only do they offer 1920 by 1200 but also duel, triple, and quad screen savers). But the host of the site has recently started only hosting them in JPEG format... which has severely effected there quality :(
Posted by: OmniChaotic at Oct 8, 2006 1:45:55 AM
can u tell me how to sharemy photos
Posted by: ritesh at Nov 6, 2006 7:38:51 PM
can u tell me how to sharemy photos
Posted by: The Tensor at Nov 7, 2006 4:09:18 AM
http://community.dcmag.co.uk/photos/default.aspx which has a load of photos where you can see the original size. The photos are usuually at a relatively high resolution if you select them within each of the readers portfolios.
Posted by: Dav at Nov 13, 2006 12:07:40 PM
well, this is brand new site that i have seen and people its a must see contains wallpapers from Hollywood + Bollywood Celebrities.one of my favs it is
http://www.fun4real.com/models/category.html ------wallpapers index
Great Profile of high resolution images: http://ether.deviantart.com/gallery/?order=9
Posted by: Dav at Apr 25, 2007 3:12:33 PM
A blogsite of all the major websites providing high quality wallpaper-some of them you may have come across before: http://1920-1200-wallpaper.blogspot.com/2006/11/1920-x-1200-wallpapers-youve-got-giant.html
Posted by: Dav at Apr 25, 2007 3:15:13 PM
Every month an excellent 1920x1200 (and other sizes) wallpaper, though he's usually a bit behind in months
Posted by: Menno at May 5, 2007 12:14:34 AM
How about www.stylexp.ro/widescreen/1920x1200-wallpapers-widescreen.html
Its quite limited in wallpaper with such resolution. Worth a visit!.
Thanks for all the resources above, good job man.
Posted by: Hans at May 11, 2007 10:49:27 AM
I've got a few 1920x1200 wallpapers on my Photoshop portfolio site:
I know this blog post is old and probably wont be updated any more, but a nice site for video game or anime high res wallpapers up to 1920x1200 is http://wpshrine.com/
well you can this one out
you can this one
I've put together a few dozen of these as well.
I saw your article.It is very good.If u add good photos for your article it will look very beautiful.I saw one site which will provide variety number of photos.This site also provide templates to add to your website.Just click below to enter into the photographic world.
Posted by: photography at Jun 20, 2008 3:35:07 AM
yea....i ve downloaded almost most of the wallpapers from www.vistafeel.com n yes they ve alot of movie;s wallpaper collection
Posted by: bekkum at Nov 8, 2008 6:08:46 AM
Thank you suzee baby One of my favorite wallpapers of all the wonderful ones you share with us. Thanks again
nice website ! hey u ppl around if u r really interested in high quality vista wallpaper check out
Posted by: cracker at Nov 17, 2008 1:24:16 AM
A great site where you can find lots of wallpapers is http://www.sharewallpapers.org (They have more than 100,000!) and lots with 1920x1200
A lot of useful links for me, a designer of creative 3d wallpapers of celebrities as jessica alba wallpaper - good sites, thanks for posting!
Nic article. thank you
I also can add an amazing wallpaper sites. Resolutions are up to 2560x1600 http://www.wallpaperstop.com
MOAI Statues : The moai are monolithic statues, their minimalist style related to forms found throughout Polynesia. Moai or mo‘ai (pronounced /ˈmoʊ.аɪ/) are monolithic human figures carved from rock on the Polynesian island of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) between 1250 and 1500 CE.
For More Eye Soothing Free 3D Wallpapers to download Visit : TWS3D Wallpapers : A place for free downloads of normal and high resolution of 3D Wallpapers of Abstract, Female and Male Celebrities, Technology, Fantasy, Cars, Bikes, Design, Art and much more.
Posted by: sarit at Sep 23, 2009 4:38:41 AM